Top Five Places to Get Your Fish Fix
If you’re taking part in meat-free Fridays this Lenten season, fish is your friend and we’ve found five places where you can get your fill. Check out the list below of some of our favorites from episodes past and for even more options, check out WGN-TV’s fish fry finder here.
- Boston Fish Market: Drop anchor and order up at this north suburban gem. The Boston Fish Market emits some serious East Coast vibes with its fresh fish and extensive menu. From the lobster roll to the New England clam chowder, it’s sure to satisfy your seafood cravings. Location: 1225 Forest Ave. in Des Plaines.
- Fish Bar: Fish Bar is the brainchild of Chicago restaurant mastermind, Michael Kornick. Just around the corner from DMK Burger Bar, this eatery offers an alternative for those without meat on their minds and serves up East Coast, clam shack charm right in the heart of Lakeview. Location: 2956 N Sheffield Ave. in Lakeview.
- Lawrence’s Fish and Shrimp: Forget coastal cities, seafood lovers need only travel as far as the South Loop. Since 1950, Lawrence’s has been docked on Canal Street and whether you pull up in a boat or a car, this is the spot to come for the best fried seafood around. Location: 2120 S Canal St. in the South Loop.
- The Fish Keg: Two words: Fried. Shrimp. For over six decades, the Fish Keg has catered to Rogers Park with fresh and fried fish and homemade cocktail and tartar sauce. Fish are flown in daily from all over so you can taste the tropics without ever leaving Chicago. Location: 2233 Howard St. in Rogers Park.
- Harry E. Anderson VFW Post 9545: This list wouldn’t be complete without a bonafide fish fry and no one does ‘em better than the VFW. Friday night fish fries don’t just occur during Lent at this New Lenox post. You can eat up year round while supporting our veterans. Now THAT is a win-win. Location: 323 Old Hickory Rd. in New Lenox.